I’m a Southern girl that somehow found myself out West, but my heart has always belonged below the mason dixon line. I live in Flagstaff, AZ with my four furry friends and my wonderful husband, Grant. I own a portrait photography studio,Tangled Lilac Photography, and a medical consulting business, Medical Management Consulting. Wha??, you’re thinking? Those are totally unrelated. Yes, it’s important for me to use both sides of my brain.
Random Things about Me
- I’m a morning person, I’m cheerful and excited to get out of bed. This has caused me to not be invited to many girl weekends.
- I love sweet tea, warm biscuits and honey and could eat it everyday.
- I never wanted to have children and am just coming to terms with being vocal about that. I’ve found out many people judge non-breeders.
- I’m a vegetarian. I haven’t had beef, pork or chicken since 1996, and I’ve never missed it. I stopped eating fish in February 2015 the weekend my father passed away. I went to the Tennessee Aquarium and locked eyes with a sturgon and that was that. I don’t miss fish either.
- I believe in forgiving, even when the person who’s hurt you hasn’t even asked. To live with pain is too much for the soul to handle.
- I love the idea of travel, but when it comes down to it, I would rather hang out with my animal friends.
- My favorite color is purple. I could wear it everyday and paint my whole house, interior and exterior, various shades and be very happy about it. My neighbors, probably would not be very happy about that.
- I can’t sit still so I can’t got to the movies. I suspect I have ADD, but I’ve never been diagnosed.
- The biggest things on my bucket list: visit the whales, hear wolves howl in a natural setting and visit a church in Europe containing baptism/marriage records for my ancestors.
- I don’t like scarves. I feel like I’m choking when I wear them. It’s ironic because I get a lot of scarves as gifts and those are probably the only ones I own. The one in the above photo was a gift from a dear friend, Nick.
- I belive in angels, and I’ve met my guardian angel once in Prescott, AZ. I was suspicious after my conversation so I turned around quickly and he was gone. It was a game changer for me and I’ve never looked at our life on Earth quite the same.
- Every time I get into a plane I’m convinced we’re going to crash.
- I believe in thank you notes. My mother always said…”It’s never too early, or too late, to write a thank you note”. She was right.
- I’d rather have old, vintage furniture than the newest fanciest furniture on the market. I love the thought of what that piece of furniture has seen in it’s lifetime.
- Ancestry.com is my Facebook. I love the puzzle, the connections and finally feeling like I’m part of something bigger than myself. The stories of my ancestors are going to frame a book I’m going to write one day.
- It’s been over a year since he passed and I still pick up my phone to call my Dad on Sunday. Miss that man.
- Saying “No” is the hardest thing for me. I’m getting better, but I still feel like I’m letting everyone down.
- I don’t like the beach. I know, I’m weird. It’s not that I’m against the beach, and I think it’s because of the direct sun. I love the “thought” of the beach, but when I get there…dang, I’m bored. Reading a novel? No thank you. My vision of paradise is a beautiful mountain, a babbling stream, a serene lake and the song of tree frogs.
- I love humidity. No, for real…my skin feels awesome and I feel like I breathe better.
- I don’t trust people that don’t like animals, at all. I’ll smile and laugh when you say you’re not a ‘cat person’ but in the back of my mind I’ll wonder what the hell is wrong with you and maybe you were abused as a child.
- Oh, and at 47, I think I might be going through a mid-life crisis or maybe just coming to terms with my own voice. Maybe it’s a little both.
My Daily Mantra
to live each day with love, compassion and to leave this earth better than I found it